Highway Pilot?

KenAir

Verified Owner
Cars
Lucid Air GT
I would love to have my AGT steer itself on long open highway drives. I find it tiring to hang my arms on the steering wheel for 3-4 hours at a stretch just going straight down an Interstate. Does this feature exist yet? I did not see how to turn it on if it was there. I'm happy to keep my eyes on the road and stay ready to take over. But an injury to my arm makes it very tiring to just hold the wheel straight for long drives.

To my knowledge, you have to keep at least one hand on the wheel or the car yells at you and will eventually tell you the HA is shutting off if you don't hold the wheel.

You can try resting your hand/lower arm on the bottom portion of the steering wheel. Either hand/arm will work if positioned properly. Also you can take your hands off the wheel for approximately 20 seconds before it notifies you to hold the steering wheel.

You can try resting your hand/lower arm on the bottom portion of the steering wheel. Either hand/arm will work if positioned properly. Also you can take your hands off the wheel for approximately 20 seconds before it notifies you to hold the steering wheel.
Yes, I found I had to experiment a bit to find just the right spot. But now I can just rest my left hand on the flat part of the bottom of the wheel, at about 7 o'clock, and it leaves me alone. Drove home from the Springs using HA most of the way yesterday (about an hour and 40 minutes) and I think I got the warning maybe twice.

Personally, given the state of all ADAS systems in any car, I want my hands on the steering wheel at all times. The more the car allows you to let your guard down, the better chance you won't be ready when the unpredictable happens. People who trust these systems are out of their minds, as far as I'm concerned. I'm always watching over any car I drive like a concerned parent with a first-time teenager behind the wheel.

I alternate between the left hand 7 o clock position with the elbow resting on the seat and 5 o clock position with the elbow resting on the lap or the seat and lightly pull it with HA.

I’ve timed it - it’s 15 seconds before first warning, then another 15 before the “no seriously bro, take control now or we will stop you in the middle of the lane because you’re dead to us” warning.

I’ve timed it - it’s 15 seconds before first warning, then another 15 before the “no seriously bro, take control now or we will stop you in the middle of the lane because you’re dead to us” warning.
The manual says 15 seconds.

I'm going to experiment with a small pillow in my lap the next time I do a 300+ mile trip. I've done 300+ miles non-stop three times now. The car is brilliant - it's my darn elbow that is messed up. Just taking a little weight off will probably work fine. I do hold the bottom of the wheel most of the time I'm cruising.

I certainly agree we need to stay focused while driving, but I don't see the need to keep my hands on the wheel on perfectly straight, nearly empty interstates. I don't keep my foot on the throttle or brake using cruise control, and that works fine. I always hover my feet over the brake and use both hands while passing trucks. If there is no vehicle in sight for half a mile, I'd prefer the car steer itself too.

Back