Navigating the Unexpected: A Two-Week Journey with My New GT and a Flat Tire

REV

Hello, fellow enthusiasts!

I recently encountered a series of issues with my new GT, which I've had for just two weeks. I thought sharing my experience might help others who face similar challenges. Here's what happened:

1. Lack of Tire Pressure Alerts: Surprisingly, the car's system does not warn of low air pressure. I scoured the system settings but found no option to monitor tire pressure, which seems like a significant oversight. Maybe it is there, but I can't find it.

2. Flat Tire Ordeal: Fortunately, I discovered the flat tire before hitting the highway. After contacting Lucid, they promptly arranged for a tow. However, it took five hours for the towing company (not Lucid's fault) to transport my car to the Lucid service center.

3. No Repair Policy: The next day, Lucid service center informed me that their tires cannot be repaired once they go flat, a policy that took me by surprise. They did not communicate that to me before purchase.

4. Tire Replacement Cost: Replacing the flat with a new tire costs nearly $700. Before towing fees.

Given these experiences, I have a few questions for the community:
  • Tire Pressure Monitoring: How can one check the tire pressure in a Lucid vehicle? It seems like most modern cars have a way to alert the driver about tire issues.
  • Towing Necessity: Is towing to a Lucid service center the only option in case of a flat? Are there any alternatives?
  • Tire Repair: Is it true that Lucid tires cannot be repaired?
  • Tire Insurance: Has anyone had any experience with third-party tire insurance worth recommending?
I plan to share insights from my real-life experiences with the car's infotainment system and its overall intelligence—or lack thereof—in a future post. Stay tuned, and I look forward to your advice and shared experiences!

Hello, fellow enthusiasts!

I recently encountered a series of issues with my new GT, which I've had for just two weeks. I thought sharing my experience might help others who face similar challenges. Here's what happened:

1. Lack of Tire Pressure Alerts: Surprisingly, the car's system does not warn of low air pressure. I scoured the system settings but found no option to monitor tire pressure, which seems like a significant oversight. Maybe it is there, but I can't find it.

2. Flat Tire Ordeal: Fortunately, I discovered the flat tire before hitting the highway. After contacting Lucid, they promptly arranged for a tow. However, it took five hours for the towing company (not Lucid's fault) to transport my car to the Lucid service center.

3. No Repair Policy: The next day, Lucid service center informed me that their tires cannot be repaired once they go flat, a policy that took me by surprise. They did not communicate that to me before purchase.

4. Tire Replacement Cost: Replacing the flat with a new tire costs nearly $700. Before towing fees.

Given these experiences, I have a few questions for the community:
  • Tire Pressure Monitoring: How can one check the tire pressure in a Lucid vehicle? It seems like most modern cars have a way to alert the driver about tire issues.
  • Towing Necessity: Is towing to a Lucid service center the only option in case of a flat? Are there any alternatives?
  • Tire Repair: Is it true that Lucid tires cannot be repaired?
  • Tire Insurance: Has anyone had any experience with third-party tire insurance worth recommending?
I plan to share insights from my real-life experiences with the car's infotainment system and its overall intelligence—or lack thereof—in a future post. Stay tuned, and I look forward to your advice and shared experiences!
For tire pressure, the app then the shield icon. It will only store the pressure for around 20 min or so after you finish driving. The TPMS requires you to drive above 20 to get an accurate pressure.

In the car, settings, vehicle, tire pressure. Again, TPMS won't show pressure just sitting still.

You can tow anywhere, but whether or not the tire center will have tires is hit or miss.

The EV tires with foam can be repaired by certain tire shops who look past the necessity to cut the foam out.

Get tire insurance from Tire Rack/Americas tires.

Lucid and third parties sell kits that will allow you to seal and reinflate most flat tires so you can at least get somewhere it can be fixed or replaced. Get one and carry in your trunk/frunk if you are worried about flats.

The car certainly tells you if your pressure is low; as hydbob says, you have to have been running for a little while before the sensors communicate with the car.

Think twice and then twice more about sharing your thoughts regarding the infotainment system, and then look to see how many other people have already commented about the issues you want to post about. The number of repeat complaints on this board can get ridiculous at times.

Last edited:
The EV tires with foam can be repaired by certain tire shops who look past the necessity to cut the foam out.

Important note: this is against manufacturer recommendations, and while some ships will do it, you may end up with a weird “thunk” noise every time it rolls over the foamless part, and it very much depends on where the damage is.

Get tire insurance from Tire Rack/Americas tires.

America’s Tire / Discount Tire. They own TireRack, but TireRack doesn’t issue tire certificates (the magic words for tire insurance).

And, just a note for others, AT/DT will let you buy certs for tires you already own. They just inspect them briefly.

Last edited:
I believe FMVSS 138 requires a telltale (light) whenever a tires pressure is more than 25% low.

On my other vehicle a light and beeping started within 15 seconds of hitting a large pothole, allowing me to pull off the road before the tire was totally flat.

America’s Tire / Discount Tire. TireRack owns them, but doesn’t issue tire certificates (the magic words for tire insurance).
Does this mean there is no way around to buy a tire certificate or insurance for Lucid?

Lucid has an inflater / emergency foam sealer kit that I recommend. It has an analog pressure gauge that is difficult to read but surprisingly accurate, and a separate foam sealer on the reverse side. The foam is one-off: for emergency use only, and ruins the tire. An ulltra high-performance car like the Lucid should not be on "repaired" tires. This is not a Prius.
The 19" A/S tires are durable. I have no experience with the 20" tires. The 21" are fraught because of the low (35 series) sidewall. They do not tolerate potholes. Many owners have reported issues with sidewall bubbles on the 21" Pirellis. I keep mine inflated to 45 psi cold, inspect them before I drive (as any good pilot does), keep an eye on the inflation pressure by pencil gauge and by looking at the display on the pilot panel (gear thing/vehicle/tires).

I much prefer the 21" summer tires. They are smoother/ quieter / and the handling is noticeably improved. I am willing to take the risk of using them all summer. I throw the spare in the trunk when I'm on a longer trip. Counter to what we are taught when learning to drive....I aim my eyes low to the road in front of the car, looking to dodge hazards. It's another reason to keep a healthy distance from cars in front of you. Yes I have had a sidewall bubble on a front Pirelli 21". The roads in PA are the worst in the country.

still ... I believe the car's suspension was tuned for the 21" wheels / summer tires. It sure feels that way.

This is not just a Lucid policy but one arising from the construction of many modern tires. No reputable shop will repair a tire if the penetration is in the sidewall. If the penetration is in the tread, some tires can be repaired, but high-speed-rated tires generally cannot. Tire Choice and other major tire chains adopted this policy several years back. They will still repair a tread puncture on our Honda Odyssey all-season tires, but they will only replace our Tesla or Lucid tires. And, as @borski wrote, the noise suppression foam in some tires brings another factor into play.

EVs such as a Lucid are very heavy cars that produce prodigious torque, thus putting extreme stress on tires. This is why major tire manufacturers are all introducing new lines of EV-optimized tires. These tires are extremely sophisticated engineered systems, and a puncture can seriously disrupt the interplay between various tire components.

my eyes low to the road in front of the car, looking to dodge hazards.
😂 That's exactly what I am doing now after my first flat tire.
By the way, has anyone used the Lucid "Tire Repair Kit" that they sell? If no repairs are allowed, why do they sell a repair kit??

😂 That's exactly what I am doing now after my first flat tire.
By the way, has anyone used the Lucid "Tire Repair Kit" that they sell? If no repairs are allowed, why do they sell a repair kit??

It's not a permanent repair. It just keeps the tire inflated long enough at relatively low speeds to get the car somewhere where the tire can safely be replaced. It's a tar-like substance that is injected under pressure into the tire through the tire valve. It spreads over the entire interior surface of the tire to slow or stop a small leak temporarily.

I carry such a kit in all of our cars on road trips, as most modern cars no longer have spares and finding help with a flat on many highways can be very tricky. At least with these kits you can get somewhere safe to wait out a replacement.

Don't leave home without it, or a spare from EZSpare or Modern Spare. Lucid's inflator, unlike others easily available, has a 12V cord that can reach the 12V socket in the trunk.

Don't leave home without it, or a spare from EZSpare or Modern Spare. Lucid's inflator, unlike others easily available, has a 12V cord that can reach the 12V socket in the trunk.
I've read from several sources in the past that these kits make a mess of the inside of the wheel and the TPMS sensor. Has anyone here successfully used this kit before or any other comparable one and can offer any thoughts?

I've read from several sources in the past that these kits make a mess of the inside of the wheel and the TPMS sensor. Has anyone here successfully used this kit before or any other comparable one and can offer any thoughts?

Sure, they do, but it shouldn’t mess with the TPMS sensor. But they get you to a tire center to get your tire replaced.

It isn’t a permanent solution. It’s just way easier and faster than waiting for a tow. You still need to replace the tire.

I've also read that older goop formulations did ruin TPMS, and that newer ones don't. But you're looking at a new tire anyway. Another $50 for TPMS on top of $400 would be the worst case. I carry Lucid's inflator, plus a spare from EZSpare, because we frequently take the Air beyond cell service and occasionally onto roads it wasn't intended for.

Lucid off road.jpg

I've also read that older goop formulations did ruin TPMS, and that newer ones don't.

Interesting. It would seem to me that anything with the viscosity to plug a tire leak would interfere with a pickup device sensitive enough to register minor variations in air pressure. The instruction sheets on our kits say that the tire pressure monitoring sensor must be replaced along with the tire.

It seems Lucid and Tesla share the same source for their tire repair kits, although Lucid rates its kit for 65 mph while Tesla is 50 mph:

Lucid:
Screenshot 2024-05-13 at 8.36.21 PM.png

Tesla:

Screenshot 2024-05-13 at 8.35.23 PM.png

Interesting. It would seem to me that anything with the viscosity to plug a tire leak would interfere with a pickup device sensitive enough to register minor variations in air pressure. The instruction sheets on our kits say that the tire pressure monitoring sensor must be replaced along with the tire.
Some years back, fix-a-flat and similar products were reformulated to be water-soluble. They can be washed off the TPMS. I imagine this isn't easy to do properly. Or possibly Lucid/Tesla's kit uses some other solvent that isn't TPMS-safe.

Last edited:
It seems Lucid and Tesla share the same source for their tire repair kits, although Lucid rates its kit for 65 mph while Tesla is 50 mph...
Does the Tesla kit have the longer 12V cord length like Lucid's?

Back