Radar Detector with Coated Glass on DE

Last ICE

Verified Owner
Cars
DE-P, R1S, Defender 110
DE Number
I have a Valentine One (Gen 2) radar detector (only used outside of my home state of VA, of course) that I have yet to use in the Lucid. I understand from previous posts the windshield might be different on my car versus later builds. I know my EZPass (RFID) only works in the lower corner of the windshield on the passenger side as it's clear there's an area where there is no factory coating or tint. I am wondering if placing my radar detector in the middle of the windshield will result in it being less effective/ineffective. I would think this could cause problems for radar detection, but maybe not laser detection. Anyone have any experience or input on this?

I have a Valentine One (Gen 2) radar detector (only used outside of my home state of VA, of course) that I have yet to use in the Lucid. I understand from previous posts the windshield might be different on my car versus later builds. I know my EZPass (RFID) only works in the lower corner of the windshield on the passenger side as it's clear there's an area where there is no factory coating or tint. I am wondering if placing my radar detector in the middle of the windshield will result in it being less effective/ineffective. I would think this could cause problems for radar detection, but maybe not laser detection. Anyone have any experience or input on this?

There are a bunch of threads on this. Please search the forum for “radar” and “valentine” and similar search terms.

Everything I saw was around running power supplies...

In short, it works fine if you have one of the later iterations of the windshield, where there is no visible difference in the bottom right passenger corner.

If there is a small untinted window there, you have the original first version of the windshield (which makes sense since you mentioned it's a DE) and service will happily replace it for you at no cost if you mention the problem.

Last edited:
...and service will happily replace it for you at no cost if you mention the problem.

Really? I never liked the corner cut out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Really? I never liked the corner cut out.
Yes. They replaced mine at no charge, as well as other DEs. For one thing, it was literally impossible to properly adjust the CA CAV Fastrak pass, as it is a physical switch, and when it was in the bottom right corner you could not reach it. If you forgot that you had previously set it to 2 or 3, and were now driving alone, there was no safe way to adjust it while you were driving. When I caught myself using my flip flop to adjust it while on the highway, I said enough was enough and they had no problem scheduling a replacement for the latest iteration.

Yes. They replaced mine at no charge, as well as other DEs. For one thing, it was literally impossible to properly adjust the CA CAV Fastrak pass, as it is a physical switch, and when it was in the bottom right corner you could not reach it. If you forgot that you had previously set it to 2 or 3, and were now driving alone, there was no safe way to adjust it while you were driving. When I caught myself using my flip flop to adjust it while on the highway, I said enough was enough and they had no problem scheduling a replacement for the latest iteration.
Understood. Thank you.

Back