Unable to engage drive or reverse

This happened to me today! Received the 2.0.50 update this morning and drove the car fine. Then in the afternoon, the car would not go into reverse or drive. Reset the car and nothing has worked. Customer care is now coming to tow the car. :(

So last night for the first time I forgot to put the fob in thefaraday bag. It was non responsive with dead battery in morning. Lasted maybe a month and I was away for two weeks with car garaged .. Pain in the butt and reportedly unfixable. They need a new fob manufacturer

After several occurences, it had been a while since our car wouldn't switch from "Park" to either "Drive" or "Reverse", so I thought Lucid had finally resolved the problem with one of the recent OTA software updates. I was wrong.

Last night my partner put the car in "Park" to let me out at the entrance to a grocery store. When he tried to engage "Drive" to pull off, the car wouldn't move. He had to sit through a couple of minutes of repeated tries before the car would move, all while traffic was backing up behind him. For us, this never happens when first starting a drive. It always happens when the car is put into "Park" in order for a passenger to get out before continuing the drive. The driver remains behind the wheel with key fob in pocket.

This issue has been discussed for several months on this forum. It's a serious issue and something Lucid should be all over by now.

After several occurences, it had been a while since our car wouldn't switch from "Park" to either "Drive" or "Reverse", so I thought Lucid had finally resolved the problem with one of the recent OTA software updates. I was wrong.

Last night my partner put the car in "Park" to let me out at the entrance to a grocery store. When he tried to engage "Drive" to pull off, the car wouldn't move. He had to sit through a couple of minutes of repeated tries before the car would move, all while traffic was backing up behind him. For us, this never happens when first starting a drive. It always happens when the car is put into "Park" in order for a passenger to get out before continuing the drive. The driver remains behind the wheel with key fob in pocket.

This issue has been discussed for several months on this forum. It's a serious issue and something Lucid should be all over by now.
Very strange. I do exactly what you are describing several times a week, and I’ve never had this happen.

You’re not getting the key fob not detected warning, or asking for the pin, or anything like that, right? It just refuses to shift into gear?

Very strange. I do exactly what you are describing several times a week, and I’ve never had this happen.

You’re not getting the key fob not detected warning, or asking for the pin, or anything like that, right? It just refuses to shift into gear?

The car has asked for the PIN a couple of times, but usually not. A few times I have gotten the "key fob not detected" warning while driving the car down the road, but it will spontaneously disappear with nothing changing about the car's performance. However, this warning has never appeared during the events when the car wouldn't respond to the shift lever.

I pull up somewhere to let a passenger out of the car. I put the car in "Park" so that the doors release, the passenger gets out and closes the door, and I then press the shift lever to put the car back into "Drive" . . . and nothing happens. The gear indicator remains in "Park". After a period of time -- ranging from 20-30 seconds to more than a minute -- the car finally responds to the shift lever, goes back into "Drive", and resumes normal operation.

The first few times this happened, it was always in the driveway of a particular friend's house, although we had been picking up and dropping off that friend without issues for two years. He is a software programmer and surmised that the WiFi signal from his house had somehow starting disrupting the Lucid's operation, perhaps after a Lucid software update introduced a bug. (Both times the car asked for a PIN it was in one of the occurrences at this house.)

But then the car began doing the same thing in other locations with different people getting into or out of the car. Last night, it was just me and my partner in the car. He was driving and had the key fob in his pocket, and I left my cell phone (i. e., mobile key) in the car, which is why he couldn't call me to come back out to help him move the car. As happened with me on earlier occasions, after a while the car suddenly started responding to the shift lever.

The car has asked for the PIN a couple of times, but usually not. A few times I have gotten the "key fob not detected" warning while driving the car down the road, but it will spontaneously disappear with nothing changing about the car's performance. However, this warning has never appeared during the events when the car wouldn't respond to the shift lever.

I pull up somewhere to let a passenger out of the car. I put the car in "Park" so that the doors release, the passenger gets out and closes the door, and I then press the shift lever to put the car back into "Drive" . . . and nothing happens. The gear indicator remains in "Park". After a period of time -- ranging from 20-30 seconds to more than a minute -- the car finally responds to the shift lever, goes back into "Drive", and resumes normal operation.

The first few times this happened, it was always in the driveway of a particular friend's house, although we had been picking up and dropping off that friend without issues for two years. He is a software programmer and surmised that the WiFi signal from his house had somehow starting disrupting the Lucid's operation, perhaps after a Lucid software update introduced a bug. (Both times the car asked for a PIN it was in one of the occurrences at this house.)

But then the car began doing the same thing in other locations with different people getting into or out of the car. Last night, it was just me and my partner in the car. He was driving and had the key fob in his pocket, and I left my cell phone (i. e., mobile key) in the car, which is why he couldn't call me to come back out to help him move the car. As happened with me on earlier occasions, after a while the car suddenly started responding to the shift lever.
Just to ask the obvious: you have the brake depressed when shifting?

And was the door fully closed, if that could have some weird effect?

Yes. Remember that the Air has soft close doors that pull themselves up tight if not fully closed by a passenger. Also remember that the car returns to normal operation after a period of time with the driver doing nothing other than continually trying to engage the shift function.

Read back over this thread. This issue is not unique to my car. It's happened to other owners, including some long-term forum members who have very deep experience with how to operate their Lucids.

Yes. Remember that the Air has soft close doors that pull themselves up tight if not fully closed by a passenger. Also remember that the car returns to normal operation after a period of time with the driver doing nothing other than continually trying to engage the shift function.

Read back over this thread. This issue is not unique to my car. It's happened to other owners, including some long-term forum members who have very deep experience with how to operate their Lucids.
Sure, I’m just re-asking the obvious questions as I’ve never seen it happen to me, obviously.

Any chance it’s happening because you have a mobile key AND the fob in range? After getting my touring back from battery replacement I noticed some odd things (asking for pin, slow startup, etc), and the one thing that dawned on me was I had to leave my fob with them so now, I had both the mobile key (phone) and the fob. After getting home and putting the fob back in its place (out of range) all seems to be normal again

Any chance it’s happening because you have a mobile key AND the fob in range? After getting my touring back from battery replacement I noticed some odd things (asking for pin, slow startup, etc), and the one thing that dawned on me was I had to leave my fob with them so now, I had both the mobile key (phone) and the fob. After getting home and putting the fob back in its place (out of range) all seems to be normal again

I have never driven the car without both the fob and the mobile key (and the key card, too, for that matter) in the car. This is my second Air, as the first one was totaled in an accident. In the year and a half I had the first Air, it never exhibited this problem.

Another poster in this thread (@Golfhack) thought his problem started with software version 2.1.48. I don't remember exactly when this problem first cropped up in my current Air, so I can't correlate it to that update with any certainty. But I've suspected it arose from a bug that was introduced in one of the updates and that only affected certain cars for some reason. Being a complete dolt when it comes to software, I have no idea whether this would even be possible.

But several things I can conclude from my own experience and this forum:

- not every Air has this problem
- but some do
- after the Air being on the market for a couple of years, reports of this problem began only in recent months
- which cars are affected does not correlate to when the car was built
- it is intermittent in the cars that experience the problem
- there is no correlation common to all the cars experiencing the problem to which start-up device (fob, mobile key, key card) is in use by the driver.

Happened to me a while back in an inescapable in and out drive through line. Great way to piss off the universe real fast. Car was ok after a reboot done by locking car and walking the key away or putting in a Friday bag. It happened after a screen error after charging.. Perhaps coincidental perhaps not. Thankfully has not happened again though I stopped going to in and out!!!

It seems the commonality is the opening and closing of the front passenger door. I wonder if somehow, even though no door open warning is showing, the electronics ‘think’ the door is still open. You’d think you’d see the red warning of an open door, but who knows. Just spitballing here. Personally I’ve never had it happen, and I don’t have the soft close doors. It would be interesting to see if anyone has the issue without the soft close doors.

It seems the commonality is the opening and closing of the front passenger door. I wonder if somehow, even though no door open warning is showing, the electronics ‘think’ the door is still open. You’d think you’d see the red warning of an open door, but who knows.

It has happened when exiting solely via the rear doors and solely via the front passenger door, although maybe it could be the electronics thinking a door is open. However, as you mention, we got no "open door" warning.

Back